Sunday, November 18, 2007

GTK (or TLAs yet again)

I've spent far too many hours this week looking over GTK information and trying to install GTK on OS X (both Leopard (OS X 10.5) and Tiger (OS X 10.4)). I thought I'd make one more attempt at it this morning, but have reached the conclusion it isn't worth the time, especially after finding a blog post GTK vs QT (thanks to Google) on the subject.

This is not the first time I have spent too much time on GTK. The first time was about two and a half years ago. I had heard about and seen some posts about the GIMP, so I thought it might be interesting to investigate, especially since it used a library (GTK) that supported standard graphics and user interface elements. After about a week, I gave up on both the GIMP and GTK. How could I get students to use something that took this long to install (and didn't work 100%). During my search for more information, I read about Qt (I had heard about it many years ago, but didn't really pursue it).

My experience with Qt has been much better. My first installation had some problems, so I gave it one more try and it worked (it took about eight hours to compile on my old G4 laptop). At some time, the folks at TrollTech started to release Qt as disk images, making the install process much easier.

Guess it's time to go back to looking at PyQt, since PyGTK isn't going to happen anytime soon for me.

---
Too many TLAs above? I posted More TLAs a little over a year ago.

GIMP GNU Image Manipulation Program
GTK The GIMP Toolkit
PyGTK a set of Python bindings for the GTK framework
PyQt a set of Python bindings for Qt application framework

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home